Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sir, kuch chai-paani?

          The story goes like this. A customer in my bank approached me for some help. As any employee would have done I helped him with sorting out his dilemma regarding some financial transaction he wanted to make and helped him filing up the forms. Finally I did the electronic fund transfer for him. The story should have ended there but to my amazement he said, “Sir, kuch chai-pani?”


          I didn’t know how to react. In one second he put all my dedication and genuineness to question. Is that all? Is that the only thing we work for? Ironical as it may sound, this is the same system where there is an old man Anna Hazare fasting unto death against corruption and here an old man trying to teach corruption to a fairly innocent heart.

          The incident made me smile, smile at our hypocrisy. We look for faults in the system whereas the truth is that there is a little corruption in all of us. We have become so habitual of it that many a times we don’t even realise that we are playing a very big role in the complete picture. Pity on us!

          It makes me remember one more incident where I was on the other side of the window. I had lost my driving license and as a formality I had to present a copy of the FIR in order to get a duplicate license. When I reached the Police Station, my condition was similar to the old man who approached me in the bank. I was confused and short of any clue. Only this time a hawaldar came to my rescue and helped me in getting the whole job done. All the time when he was helping me out I kept thinking that he was too humble to be a policeman. My misunderstanding lasted a little while when he spoke that line, "Sir, kuch chai-pani?"

No comments: